Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Vanity and Information

This week I am comparing and contrasting vanity blogs vs. information blogs.

The first blog I found is an example of a vanity blog. This blog was strictly about its creator, Jeff Barr and his accomplishments. It can be found at http://www.jeff-barr.com/. Let me give you a little background on Jeff. He is a self-proclaimed geek and computer guru who has been working with computers since he was 16. He uses this blog as an online journal documenting his daily expiernces with the hi-tech world. The blog also includes links to his online resume and popular searches.

The second blog I found is an example of an information blog. This particular blog is on Yosemite National Park and can be found at http://www.yosemiteblog.com/. This is "An insider's guide to Yosemite National Park." The blog is concentrated on giving information on Yosemite National Park on a visitor’s point of view. It features a picture of the day and pages of first account experiences from people who have visited the park.

Both these blogs are very different in that they benefit different people. Jeff Barr's blog only benefits a select few maybe those who look to him for advice in the computer world or maybe those who are his friends or are maybe even looking hire him. Most vanity blogs I would assume would only be interesting and beneficial to a select few.

The information blog however, can help the masses. For example with the Yosemite blog first time, visitors can go there and read experienced accounts of people who have visited the Park. They can receive good information on where to stay, what places to visit and what time of year is the best to visit the park. Information blogs in general can be very helpful to the masses.

Both of these types of journalism are supported by blogs. Without blogs, Jeff Barr would most likely not have a web site completely devoted to himself and his career. To publish a book such as an autobiography would be very costly. Visitors to Yosemite National Park would also not be able to share their expenses so freely and would not be able to comment on other's experiences are able to with the click of the mouse.I think these finding support my original thesis because less and less informational books, informational magazines, autobiographies are going to be published because the information can be found on the internet for a much less expensive price with more up to date material. Without blogs and the internet, people would still have to refer to magazines, books and newspapers for information.I choose to stick to my original thesis.

2 comments:

Miranda said...

I love that you read a tech blog. I can barely turn my computer on let alone try to understand the words they use! Nice work Wyndy!

Jeff Barr said...

Wow, thanks for the mention and review of my blog. Appreciate it!

I do try to post some material that might be appealing to a general purpose audience, but I basically just write whatever I feel like. I don't have any particular goal for the blog, other than to announce my thoughts to the world.

Jeff;